Saturday 15 September 2012

NEWSLINK: More doom and gloom for the wildcat

Scottish Wildcat 'Could Be Made Extinct At Any Moment'
Huffington Post UK
There could be as few as 35 purebreds left in the wild, according to information gathered by the Scottish Wildcat Association (SWA). Numbers of the feline known as the 'Highland Tiger' have dwindled in as the creatures cross-breed with domestic or ...

I have a sneaking suspicion that this has probably been true for decades. The late Jan Williams once told me that the problem with the Scottish Wildcat was that no-one actually knew what it was! The type specimen from 1902 apparently turned out to be a feral moggie. However, I have not been able to verify this. If anyone can give me a citation apart from "Jan Williams told me this on the telephone twenty years ago" I would be very grateful..

No comments:

Post a Comment